Job Title: Outdoor Adventure Team
The Outdoor Adventure Team role will primarily work as a facilitator and organizers of our Adventure programs, taking place June- August, featuring overnight programming and one day workshops. You will work alongside Adventure Coordinators to assist in planning and organization.
What You’ll Do
This position is responsible for working closely with Adventure Coordinators and other Adventure Team members to learn the plans for, prepare for and deliver our adventure programs. The preparation phase of each program will include equipment and supply management including participant and ICD team gear checks prior to programs. Program delivery includes teaching a wide variety of outdoor skills to participants and group management. Assessing participant abilities and adjusting expectations to create an inclusive environment and manage risk while achieving necessary outcomes will be key to success. Communication skills are an important skill with a major responsibility being informative and effective relays between team leaders, volunteers, participants during programs and with the ICD office support team whenever needed. You will be responsible for the general safety of participants, including facilitating discussions around diabetes management. You will encourage the participation, growth and skill development of participants, and embody ICD’s Core Values: Respect, Compassion, and Empowerment.
– Learn ICD’s priority initiatives and target regions for summer
– Communicate with ICD team (including, but not limited to, Adventure Coordinators) on program details prior to and post event as directed
– Preparation for and delivery of on-site program including some aspects of logistics
– Responsible for equipment/supply management, based on lists and activity schedules, including grocery shopping for Adventure Programs
– Complete events checklists as instructed
– Assists with post-event follow-up evaluation, including participant surveys as needed
– Works with regional volunteers and ICD team to achieve adventure program and workshop objectives
– Work with Adventure Coordinator to maintain accurate files, including program registration, waivers
– Works collaboratively with ICD team to facilitate program execution smoothly
– Packing and setup of events, teardown, and manage all ICD equipment/supplies- including organization of on-site storage
– Team lead the program tasks demonstrating and delegating amongst volunteers and participants appropriately while monitoring performance and taking a mentoring role to ensure knowledge transfer
– In-depth understanding of type 1 diabetes, including managing the disease, best practices, problem solving, and the stigmas/psycho-social challenges of T1D
– Strong project- and risk-management skills
– Experience with the production, planning and execution of events
– At least three years of experience facilitating activities or adventures, including: hiking, paddling, multi-sport programming, drama, music and/or sports officiating
– Physically fit (e.g., an ability to carry 1/3 of own body weight)
– Superior interpersonal and organizational skills
– Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
– Ability to multi-task with a keen attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
– Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with dependability (weekend, evening and overnight events with travel required.)
– Current Advanced First-Aid Certification (at a minimum). Priority will be given to those applicants who possess additional relevant certifications (e.g., ORCKA, EMT, WFR, NCCP)
– Must be willing to submit a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Training will take place in Ontario. Team members may be based in Ontario or AB/BC.
Compensation:$16.00 – $19.00/hour
Dependent on experience and certifications
Start date: May 29, 2023
End date: August 18, 2023
Please Submit Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
ICD recognizes and celebrates the strength in diversity. Should you require accommodations during any stage of application process, please contact email@example.com