Job Title: Camp Counsellor AB
About I Challenge Diabetes (ICD)
ICD is the charity that focuses on delivering the most engaging, inspiring, and empowering opportunities to the type 1 community. We do not shy away from the tough questions. Together amongst peers, we build the skills and courage to face whatever obstacles come our way. We practice them together, leveraging our combined strengths. Each individual may have a different starting point and we meet there to create and celebrate goals together. Life with diabetes demands a lot of us, but the resulting strength gained can expand our horizons.
I Challenge Diabetes is partnering with local sports camps to provide specialized support and safety for campers with type 1 diabetes. To deliver that service we are recruiting students living with diabetes to take on the role of Camp Counsellors and work with our award winning team.
What You’ll Do
As Camp Counsellor, you will be responsible for directing, supervising, and organizing children, as well as implementing program activities. With a partner, you will lead groups of 8-10 children, including monitoring meal times, facilitating games and activities, and leading groups to scheduled events.
You will also be responsible for the general safety of campers, and specific diabetes management, including keeping blood sugar logs and facilitating discussions around diabetes management. You will encourage the participation, growth and skill development of the children in their group, and embody ICD’s Core Values: Respect, Compassion, and Empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities
– Collaborate with other Counsellors and Activity Leaders.
– Supervise the children in your assigned age/activity group
– Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week.
– Identify and respond to camper behaviour issues using approved camp methods.
– Ensure that the program areas and washrooms are kept clean, organized and free of litter.
– Communicate with camp Leadership Staff about participant experiences and concerns.
– Attend weekly staff meetings and a 3 day in-service staff training.
– Lead and include all children in regular diabetes management tasks on provided schedule.
– Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
– Know, follow and enforce all safety expectations and guidelines. This includes, but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
– Current secondary and postsecondary student living with type 1 diabetes.
– Ability to work as a member of a team and supervise/facilitate diabetes management tasks.
– Strong organizational, time management and communication skills.
– Must be willing to submit a Vulnerable Sector Check
– Current (or willing to obtain) Standard First Aid & CPR-C
– Concussion certification which will be provide
– Previous summer camp, child care, or sports camp experience preferred.
– High Five Certification, Mental Health First Aid
Camp Programming runs from 9am-4pm. Typical shifts will be 8am-4pm, or 9am-5pm. Outside of regular programming, counsellors will supervise before or after care (8am-9am, or 4pm-5pm) 2-3 times per week, and participate in team meetings or additional training as needed. Camp Counsellors will need to
-Run, jump, swim and participate joyfully in other physical activities along side campers
-Handle commercial cleaning agents appropriately
-Lift or move objects of up to 50 lbs
-Supervise campers outdoors during exposure to varied weather conditions, including sun, rain and other inclement weather.
Work will take place virtually via our online Zoom camp platform, and when approved by Public Health on-site at locations in Calgary. Candidates will be responsible to arrange transportation accordingly. If the successful candidate does not live in the area/province, work and supervision will take place remotely.
Please Submit Resume and Cover Letter to [email protected]
ICD recognizes and celebrates the strength in diversity. Should you require accommodations during any stage of application process, please contact [email protected]
To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] (please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line).