- Kick off to Summer with ICD
June 17, 2018
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Event Phone: 877-776-0667
After the success of last year’s partnership with Lions Camps, which offered youth with T1D, siblings and friends a top-notch sports camp, I Challenge Diabetes is excited to announce this one day sports camp as a Kick Off to Summer! Participants are invited to join their peers living with T1D and a great team to learn and play!
This camp is a multi-sport one day program at Brock University that will provide diabetes support, education, mentoring and normalization all integrated with awesome workouts, skill development and a whole lot of summer camp fun for all ability levels. The camp is divided up by age category in an inclusive framework to allow T1Ds to participate alongside their peers. Day Camps are open to: 6-15-years.
You can imagine that Ultra-marathon runner Elizabeth Harvey didn’t earn her medals, running over 80 km continuously in one day, by leaving her diabetes behind. Neither did Dessi Zaharieva dodge diabetes in Taekwondo, or Chris Jarvis toss his T1D overboard, on their way to international podium finishes. Each of these athletes were T1D counselors last year at ICD’s pilot program. Michael Riddell would never blow off a bolus before delivering a presentation on exercise and diabetes at one the many international conferences he speaks at, as a Ph.D. professor at York University and founder of the York U Diabetes Sports Camp.
Day camps are designed with programming that has been set to build in self-care and safety for all children, with sunscreen, snacks, water breaks and a swim test, allowing all to be their best as they rotate through the day’s action. Our diabetes sports camp leaders integrate diabetes management checks in the same way… like it is just part of a normal day. And it will be here, giving you a chance to send your child to camp with their friends or siblings, with the support they all need to fit right in and have fun.
(Additional information on diabetes management below)
This Kick off to Summer with ICD Sport Workshop is open to children with and without type 1 diabetes aged 6-15 years old.
- June 17th Kick off to Summer with ICD Sport Workshop
Time: From 9:00 am until 4:00 pm
Regular registration cost is $45 per day and the cost of online credit card processing fees.
There is an additional cost of $15 for early drop off and late pick up (8am to 5pm)
Please note, lunch and snacks will not be provided. Diabetic low supplies will always be on hand. If finances are a barrier, please contact ICD at [email protected] about our empowerment fund.
- Our coaching staff, who lead drills and games for all the kids, share their stories and demonstrate openly what they do themselves to stay on top of their health, the challenges they face, and how they overcome obstacles. This helps to reduce the stigma and discrimination of managing diabetes as campers interact with people who have T1D in a positive, open context, which demonstrates the growth mindset behind every person with a challenge that is required to perform at a level with their peers.
- Coaches and peers with T1D who share the same tasks and obstacles to success, create an immersive environment to empower growth, develop independence, self-confidence and communication skills for youth as the routines they are required to live with are now all around them.
- Support: While we do not intend to take the diabetes management away from youth attending our camps, we do provide structured support to ensure testing and insulin decisions are being made with an individualized commitment to support any aspect of diabetes management that enables the child to join and grow. Whether that is delivering insulin whenever needed, carb counting, site changes, pump problem solving, or decisions on treatment.
- Communication and Development: Our goals are to connect with parents/caregivers at the start and end of each day to capture any directions from parents for the day and follow through with a flexible support plan. Any issues would be taken on by our team onsite. We are flexible with your needs and can build that confidence over the course of our programs.
For any questions or comments – please contact [email protected] or 877-776-0667
If you are able, donations to support this programming are needed to help subsidize these programs, providing experts in diabetes and trained mentors at the same cost of a normal camp. We also regularly access our empowerment fund to keep this program barrier-free. If you would like to partner with us in serving this community – please visit this link (click here).
Camp fees (less deposit) are fully refundable with no questions asked if notification of cancellation is received no later than four weeks prior to the camp start date. Cancellation requests made later will be considered on a case by case basis. We are here to help when you are in need, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Venue: Brock University