Job Title: Outdoor Adventure Team
About I Challenge Diabetes (ICD)
ICD is the charity that focuses on delivering the most engaging, inspiring, and empowering opportunities to the type 1 community. We do not shy away from the tough questions. Together amongst peers, we build the skills and courage to face whatever obstacles come our way. We practice them together, leveraging our combined strengths. Each individual may have a different starting point and we meet there to create and celebrate goals together. Life with diabetes demands a lot of us, but the resulting strength gained can expand our horizons.
The Outdoor Adventure Team role will primarily work as a facilitator and organizers of our Adventure programs, taking place April- August, featuring overnight programming and one day workshops.
What You’ll Do
This position is responsible for learning the plans for each program and preparing for and delivering our adventure-therapy programs. The preparation phase of each program will include equipment and supply management including participant and ICD gear checks prior to program to ensure all equipment needs are being met. Program delivery includes managing schedules and activities to teaching a wide variety of outdoor skills and group management. Assessing the abilities and adjusting expectations to create an inclusive environment and manage risk while achieving necessary outcomes will be key to success. Communication skills are an important skill with constant relays between other team leaders, volunteers, participants during programs and with the ICD office support team whenever needed. A key to all program delivery objectives will be maintaining ICD’s values and culture.
You will also be responsible for the general safety of campers, and specific diabetes management, including keeping blood sugar logs and facilitating discussions around diabetes management. You will encourage the participation, growth and skill development of the children in their group, and embody ICD’s Core Values: Respect, Compassion, and Empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Learn ICD Team’s priority initiatives and target regions for summer
– Communicate with ICD team on program details prior to and post event as directed
– Preparation for and delivery of on-site program including some aspects of logistics
– Responsible for equipment/supply management, based on lists and activity schedules
– Complete events checklists as instructed
– Assists with post-event follow-up evaluation, including participant surveys as needed
– Works with regional volunteers and ICD team to achieve program objectives
– Maintain accurate files, including program registration, waivers
– Works collaboratively with ICD team to facilitate program execution smoothly
– Packing and setup of events, teardown, and manage all ICD equipment/supplies
– Team lead the program tasks demonstrating and delegating amongst volunteers and participants appropriately while monitoring performance and taking a mentoring role to ensure knowledge transfer
– In-depth understanding of type 1 diabetes, including managing the disease, best practices, problem solving, and the stigmas/psycho-social challenges of T1D
– Strong project- and risk-management skills
– Experience with the production, planning and execution of events
– At least three years of experience facilitating activities or adventures, including: hiking, paddling, multi-sport programming, drama, music and/or sports officiating
– Physically fit (e.g., an ability to carry 1/3 of own body weight)
– Superior interpersonal and organizational skills
– Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
– Ability to multi-task with a keen attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
– Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with dependability (weekend, evening and overnight events with travel required.)
– Current Advanced First-Aid Certification (at a minimum). Priority will be given to those applicants who possess additional relevant certifications (e.g., ORCA, EMT, WFR, NCCP)
– Must be willing to submit a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Please Submit Resume and Cover Letter to email@example.com
ICD recognizes and celebrates the strength in diversity. Should you require accommodations during any stage of application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org