Job Title: Outdoor Adventure Team 2020
About I Challenge Diabetes (ICD)
ICD is the charity that focuses on delivering the most engaging, inspiring, and empowering opportunities to the type 1 community. We do not shy away from the tough questions. Together amongst peers, we build the skills and courage to face whatever obstacles come our way. We practice them together, leveraging our combined strengths. Each individual may have a different starting point and we meet there to create and celebrate goals together. Life with diabetes demands a lot of us, but the resulting strength gained can expand our horizons.
The Outdoor Adventure Team will primarily work on our Intro to Adventure and Extreme Adventure programs, taking place April- August in BC, Alberta and Ontario. Some one day workshops will be included. This position includes extensive travel during the summer months.
What You’ll Do
You will cover both on-site, and administrative work to prepare these programs for success. On-site includes the coordination of team members, participants, equipment and signage with clear communication and leadership. Administration will range from responding to inquiries, to detailed planning and organizing of event activities, their schedules and the communications prepared for participants and the leadership team along with other ad-hoc responsibilities as needed.
You will also be responsible for the general safety of participants, and facilitating discussions around diabetes management. You will encourage the participation, growth and skill development of participants and embody ICD’s Core Values: Respect, Compassion, and Empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities
– Works directly with the ICD Team to prioritize initiatives and target regions
– Develops program details, timelines, and planning for on-site logistics
– Develops gear requirements, equipment lists and activity schedules
– Completes events checklist
– Assists with post-event follow-up evaluation, including participant surveys and filing
– Works with regional contacts to develop and achieve local objectives
– Assists with marketing events to potential participants, including individuals, organizations and health-care networks
– Maintains accurate and complete files, including registration, waivers, and surveys
– Works collaboratively with ICD team to ensure program execution runs smoothly from start to finish
– Assists with the packing and setup of events, teardown, and organization of all ICD equipment
– Assists with volunteer engagement, working to delegate event duties and monitor performance of team members, including volunteers, to deliver optimal outcomes
– In-depth understanding of type 1 diabetes, including managing the disease, best practices, problem solving, and the stigmas/psycho-social challenges of T1D
– Strong project- and risk-management skills
– Experience with the production, planning and execution of events
– At least three years of experience facilitating activities or adventures, including: hiking, paddling, multi-sport programming, drama, music and/or sports officiating
– Physically fit (e.g., an ability to carry 1/3 of own body weight)
– Superior interpersonal and organizational skills
– Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
– Ability to multi-task with a keen attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
– Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with dependability (weekend, evening and overnight events with travel required.)
– Current Advanced First-Aid Certification (at a minimum). Priority will be given to those applicants who possess additional relevant certifications (e.g., ORCA, EMT, WFR, NCCP)
– Must be willing to submit a Vulnerable Sector Check.
To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] (please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line).
ICD recognizes and celebrates the strength in diversity. Should you require accommodations during any stage of application process, please contact [email protected]ichallengediabetes.org